In any endeavour, our success is dependent on many factors. One factor that might be overlooked is having an abundance mentality.
An “abundance mentality” is more than having a positive mental attitude, although a positive mental attitude is very important. When you have a positive mental attitude, you look at how things can be done rather than why they can’t be done. You believe that “where there’s a will, there’s a way.” You look at possibilities and opportunities rather than obstacles and problems. This mindset is important for success in any endeavour.
An abundance mentality will take you beyond a positive mental attitude. It will eliminate small thinking and offset negative energy. It can mean the difference between success and failure, excellence and mediocrity, and prosperity and despair.
People with an abundance mentality believe the following:
- “The more I sell, the more there is to sell”
- “The more I give, the more there is to give”
- “The more I know, the more there is to know”
- “People are great. They will help me reach my goals”
- “If I need money, I’ll find the money”
- “If I need people, I’ll find the people”
- “If I need ideas, the ideas will come”
People with an abundance mentality believe there are enough resources available to accomplish their goals. They also believe that their success doesn’t mean failure for others. On the contrary, the more successful they are, the more to theirs are affected in a positive way. They can be happy when friends and associates prosper. They can enter every business transaction with a “win/win” attitude. They win when their clients win.
Abundance thinkers believe there are only two kinds of people in their market area; those who are already a customer or client and those who are waiting to become a customer or client.
Here are some things that you can do to boost and enhance an abundance mentality:
- Make a commitment to continuous growth. Set up a reading, listening, watching and learning schedule. Read books on personal and professional development. Listen to personal development and motivational tapes. Participate in seminars and corporate training and development programs.
- Help others grow. A wise philosopher once said, “When you help another person get to the top of a mountain, you will arrive there also.” Teach the people on your team what you know. If you have a talent for coaching or teaching children, volunteer. Seeing people grow as a result of your efforts will enhance your abundance mentality.
- Have a written, specific goals program. If you haven’t started a goals program, start now. If you’ve started, update it. Review your goals daily and update your action steps and accomplishments.
- Use abundance affirmations on a daily basis. Put abundance affirmations on 3 x 5 cards, in your plan of action, on your calendar, or a separate notebook. Schedule a time each day for reading your affirmations.
- Utilise the synergy of a support group. Join one or more organisations that have members who share your interest in personal and professional development and who support you in the process.